The most common questions I get from my clients
Totally up to you! I just ask that you undress to your comfort level, so you decide what’s coming off and what’s not! Any undergarments you choose to wear during the session can simply be washed once in a normal cycle to remove the solution.
Wear loose fitting dark clothing after your session. For your feet, wear flip flops or sandals with an open toe. Tight clothes are the worst thing to put on after your airbrush tanning session! And that includes yoga pants! Leave your jeans, tight elastic waistbands and tank tops at home too. If you wear them you are risking ruining the development of the tan. Avoid red fabric as well. The red dye will have a reaction with the spray tan and can cause it to turn green.
The day before, shower and exfoliate to remove all dry, dead skin. Do not use any sugary scrubs, oily exfoliators, or soaps that contain moisturizers to exfoliate with on the day of your spray tan. Shave and take care of any other hair removal at least 12 hours before your appointment. The day of, remove all other self-tanners, make-up, perfume, deodorant and oils.
No, of course not! Perfect Glow Sunless solutions are designed to provide natural and conservative results.
You will have gorgeous, glowing results for 5-7 days (possibly longer due to the hydrating ingredients used in Perfect Glow Sunless solution) as long as your skin stays moisturized, products with harsh chemicals, exfoliants and heavy oils are avoided, and prolonged periods of time in the water are avoided. To get the most out of your tan, ask me about my tan extender and body wash that are specifically designed for sunless tanning. Using these recommended products will not only provide longer lasting results, but also more natural and even fading.
When you have a spray tan you should avoid bar soaps, exfoliants and oil-based products not designed for use with a spray tan. For best results when showering, use our 'sunless safe' bodywash. You should always use a 'sunless safe' moisturizer post-shower to keep skin hydrated. Keeping your skin moisturized will mean longer lasting results and more natural, even fading.
It is definitely best to get your your mani/pedi before the spray tan. Just make sure you are able to remove all of the lotion/oils that your nail tech applies on your skin before you come in for your spray tan. If you absolutely must get your nails done after your spray tan, you need to wait until after your first shower. In this event, you should also avoid the massage portion of the service since their products may degrade your spray tan results.
Spray tanning is endorsed by: The Skin Cancer Organization, The American Cancer Society, The American Medical Association, and The American Academy of Dermatology. The FDA has tested and approved DHA for use on the skin.
These steps are crucial to outcome and length or your tan. Most post tan issues arise due to not prepping properly.
- It is imperative that you shower and exfoliate the day before or even a few days leading up to your spray tan. Refrain from scrubs that contain oil as they could leave a film on the skin and possibly block the absorption in the areas where it remains.
- DO NOT USE DOVE BODY SOAP OR LOTION. They will fade your tan or make it blotchy.
- You should be free of all deodorant, makeup, moisturizers, and perfumes.
- Make sure any waxing or shaving is done the day before you tan. Massages, manicures, pedicures, and waxing should take place before your tan. All these treatments will ruin your fresh Rock N’ Tan.
Post tan care is 100% up to you and one of the most important factors on how long your tan will last. What you do (or don't do) will be the difference between a spray tan that lasts a good amount of time that will fade nicely, compared to one that only lasts a few days and fades terribly.
- Wait 8-12 hours before rinsing off in the shower. Do not use any soaps during this shower, just rinse to allow your tan more time to develop. You will see some color coming off your skin, this is normal. This is just the cosmetic bronzer, not your tan!
- Planning on sleeping in your spray tan and rinsing in the morning? No problem! These items may sound extreme, but after years of spray tanning, I continue to do them. Wear a lightweight long sleeve shirt and lightweight pants while sleeping. Try to minimize sweating, a fan is recommended if you typically sweat. If you sleep with your hands directly on your skin, wear loose socks over them. To simplify this, no skin on skin contact!
- No shaving for 16-24 hours after your spray tan.
- Pat dry with your towel, do not rub.
- Try to avoid products with mineral oil and petroleum oil. Do not use Dove products. All of these things can lead to a blotchy bad fading tan.
- Apply lotion after your 1st rinse and 2-3 times a day after that. Use a thin, natural lotion as opposed to a thick body cream. In keeping your skin well hydrated, you will slow down your skin's natural exfoliation process which will help your tan last longer.
- To maintain your tan, schedule a sunless session every 7-10 days.
- Rock N’ Tans do NOT provide UV protection. Please wear sunscreen!
- Your spray tan should last at least a week on your body with proper care.
This may seem lots a lot, but after a couple sprays you'll know what works best for you.
- Hot baths and showers and do not use any exfoliator (scrub, washcloth, loofa, show mit). Anything that exfoliates the outer layer of skin, which is what your tan sticks to, will then remove your tan.
- Avoid long periods of time in pools, spas or bodies of water. Prolonged exposure will cause tans to fade quickly.
- No skin to skin contact until after your first tan